2235.                          Marietta, Ohio.

DOCTOR SIMEON DEMING HART, Marietta, Ohio, third son of Deacon Benjamin Hart, of Now Britain, Conn., and Watertown, Ohio, and his first wife, Honor (Deming), born August 13th, 1818, at Watertown, Ohio; married July 24th, 1846, Minerva Lawrence, of Watertown, Ohio, before Rev. Lucien Ford. He is superintendent and she is matron of the Children’s Home in Marietta, Ohio. He is also a physician. They had no children in 1874.

2236.                          Marietta, Ohio.

DOCTOR BENJAMIN FRANKLIN HART, Marietta, Washington County, Ohio, fourth son of Deacon Benjamin Hart, of New Britain, Conn., and Watertown, Ohio, and his first wife, Honor (Deming), born January 5th, 1823, at Watertown, Washington County, Ohio. He left home when he was eleven years old, and took the responsibility of caring for himself. Being determined to acquire an education, he worked for $4 per month, went to school winters, and paid his board by doing chores night and morning; but when he became older he paid his expenses by sawing wood and shoveling coal, or any work he could find. He united with the Congregational Church at Harmar, Ohio, April 3d, 1840, at the age of seventeen, and began the study of medicine with his cousin, Dr. Seth Hart, of Harmar, Ohio, but taught school in 1841—2, He worked in a saw-mill one winter, took daguerreotypes for a time, and then worked on a farm, but all the time was studying for his profession. In the fall of 1843 he took his worldly goods, consisting of scanty clothing, one sheet, one blanket, two comfortables, and a few cooking utensils, on the deck of a steamer, and went to Cincinnati. He hired a room in the third story of a house on Vine Street, did his own cooking, washing, and ironing, heard six medical lectures per day, and run in debt for half the lectures. He started for home in the spring of 1844 with $1.50, paid $1 for deck passage to Harmar, and for lack of funds went thirty-six hours without eating, when he landed, and found Dr. Seth Hart very sick. He took care of him and his patients the best he could, and in November went four miles up the Ohio River, to the mouth of the Muskingum, where he began business, soon had a large practice, and in two years had paid all his debts for tuition, horse, house, library, and office. Having a large practice over the Ohio, in Virginia, he relinquished his business in Ohio to his brother, Simeon, and removed to Bull Creek, Wood County, Va., where he remained two years. He married October 19th, 1848, Sally M., daughter of Thomas Alcock, of Marietta, Ohio, and his wife, Sally Holliday (Wells), born December 27th, 1830,